8 Dec 2009

The next QRP project?

Having finished the 500kHz transverter to my satisfaction I'm mulling over the next project "big idea" to keep me amused on a winter afternoon. I do want to build some homebrew gear for 28MHz as this remains one of my favourite bands: antennas are small and unobtrusive, DX is not hard to work with QRP when the band is in good shape, and the frequency is low enough to be able to make gear, and get it working, with my limited test equipment. Maybe I should do it in stages:
  1. A direct conversion mixer and back end with CW/SSB filter bandwidths.
  2. A direct-conversion 28MHz front end mixer and RF filter based on an SBL1 or NE612/602.
  3. A stable mixer-VFO covering the CW and SSB part of the band.
  4. A driver and PA for up to 5W.
  5. A DSB mixer module to use with the above to use in a simple DSB transceiver.

No comments: