6 Jan 2013

Analysis of 472kHz antenna tests today

With several hundred WSPR spots of my QRP signal received today on 472kHz, I have tried to do a crude analysis of the difference in performance between my short (1/100 wavelength long) Marconi and my earth electrode (ground) antenna. I did this using MS Excel. Now I have forgotten most of the things I knew about Excel, so this is basic stuff here!

I plotted the maximum and minimum signal reports for each type of antenna for a number of different reporting stations and plotted a graph showing the difference and the angle the station is from me to see if there was a clear directionality in the earth electrode system.

Analysis of signal levels with short Marconi and Earth Electrode antenna at 472kHz

Conclusion? I'm not sure, although the difference between the 2 antennas varies from as little as 0.5dB (PA3ABK) up to 16dB (M1GEO) with an average additional loss of around 7dB. Can you see any indication of directivity in the earth electrode antenna? I am assuming the Marconi is omni-directional, which of course may not be the case.

Not bad for an antenna that is invisible to the neighbours and still is capable of getting reports (so far) to 701km away with a few milliwatts ERP.

No comments: