17 Jul 2014

10m Es and GDX already

Since resyncing the clock and restarting the software around 0830z, G3JKV (123km) has been spotted several times as GDX and LA3JJ (993km) and I have exchanged WSPR spots once via Es. Strange how later in the Es season, it seems to favour more northerly latitudes.

Sunspot count today is just 11 (low) and 20-30MHz propagation described as "fair". We'll be lucky to catch any real DX by F2 today I think. This is the lowest sunspot count in a long time. Although there will still be good days, I think we are "on the slide" now and have passed the peak of this cycle.

As Es conditions worsen, I seem to be spending more time on 10m now than 6m. With patience, both bands will still be good for Es for some time yet.  Last summer I was still regularly working Es DX on 6m right into September.

I was in hospital from mid-Sept to January, so have no idea of 6m conditions during that period. In my current (wobbly) state of health, digital modes (no talking) are easier on my voice than SSB or FM.

UPDATE 0930z:  TF3HZ (1837km) in Iceland spotted at  -26dB S/N via Es.

No comments: