26 Jul 2014

More JT65 QSOs

This evening I went on 20m JT65 again and managed a couple of European QSOs in reply to the CQs of others. I am using JT65-HF software that is very simple to use. So far I have used the FT817 at either 2.5 or 5W.
JT65-HF screenshot
If you see a station calling CQ (shows up in green) you just click on it to start a QSO with that station. If he copies you and replies then the started QSO shows up in red - all very simple. Wonder if there is a similar (easy) package for JT9-1 on HF?

Looking on PSK Reporter I see plenty of USA stations were copying me too, so it should not be too hard to work DX with just a little effort even with my compromise antenna. When 10m and 6m are open, DX should be easier still.

With JT65-HF and JT9-1,  I have to be in the shack, but at least there is no speaking, saving my poor voice.

2 comments:

David (G0LRD) said...

Roger,
I tried JT65-HF but I wouldn't say it was particularly easier to use than WSJT-X, which also auto-generates the response when a CQ or intermediate message is double-clicked. WSJT-X also lets you operate both modes at once by setting a transition frequency whereby lower-frequency signals are treated at JT65 and upper-frequency signals as JT9-1.
David

Roger G3XBM said...

Must give WSJT-X another go. I tried a very early version and suspect it has been improved. It supports JT9-1 which,of course, JT65-HF does not.