29 Mar 2015

New soldering iron on order and beating disabilities

Based on recommendations, I ordered a new Antex soldering iron which should arrive later this week. In the meantime I'll try to assemble (find!) my kit for both VLF earth-mode and optical comms field work.  I am still getting very tired, so don't expect too much too soon.

The first tests will be very modest to get me back into "the swing of things".  Unless my health starts to make a big improvement, I fear I may have to live with some of my symptoms for the foreseeable future, if not for ever. This would be such a pity as there is so much I want to do. Compared with some though, I have been lucky. If at all possible, I really want to beat my disabilities. I hate being so useless. I remember my "old self" full of energy.

5 comments:

G1KQH said...

I am not a fan of Antex, they are just not up to the job!

Couldn't you get the spares for your old Weller,I think CPC carry them?


73 Steve

Roger G3XBM said...

It is not too expensive but has very good reviews. We'll see.

G1KQH said...

I remember the factory where I worked for many years, they decided to switch to Antex stations on the main line where the girls put the PCBs together..

Previously that had been using Weller TCP range for years, somebod in his Ivory tower thought it would be cheaper to change, as the Antex was about half the price of a Weller.

They must have invested in well over a Dozen Antex work stations..
Within 12 months, they had gone duff very few were still working, lots of different faults even soldering irons had just fallen to bits! They were not up to an industrial job.

They reinvested again back in Weller, and that was the end of the problem.

73 G1KQH

Roger G3XBM said...

Proof will be in the pudding, as they say. As mine was not too expensive, if I have to scrap it, it won't be too bad. Most reviews of it were very good however. It is on its way. Mine won't get heavy use.

G1KQH said...

Maybe for the odd job ok? But even I have owned one and the Iron fell out of the plastic case?

Still my 30 year olde Weller TCP keeps going it is on its 2nd stat and element..


73 Steve